We mean business
The doors are open for business in Union Parish, the location of numerous corporate, retail and small manufacturing companies. From poultry processing and health care, to a Fortune 500 company’s data processing center, Union Parish has attracted a variety of businesses...and is ready to welcome more.
Key Economic Data
For assistance in the site selection process or when preparing a site for business or industry development please Click here to access in-depth data on Union Parish.
Union Parish is located in the north-central portion of Louisiana (latitude 32.77 North, longitude 92.42 West), elevation 98 feet. The total area is 877.7 square miles; population is approximately 22,800. Monroe-West Monroe, a metropolis of 66,350, is 10 miles southeast of Union Parish, and is easily reached via state highways 15, 143, and 2. The Monroe Metropolitan Statistical Area, includes the parishes of Ouachita and Union. Union Parish seat is Farmerville, which sits at the north edge of Lake D'Arbonne.
Union Parish is strategically positioned at the crossroads of the Mid-South---one of the fastest growing regions of the United States---at the midpoint between Dallas and Birmingham, Little Rock and New Orleans, and Houston and Memphis. Over 21 percent of the population of the United States lives within a 500-mile radius. Major metropolitan areas within this 500-mile radius include Atlanta, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston, Nashville, Birmingham, Mobile, Little Rock, Oklahoma City, Memphis, New Orleans and Jackson.
• Major highways serving the parish are U.S. Hwy. 167, and state highways 143, 33, 15, and 2. Interstate-20 is located 12 miles south of the parish (20 miles from Farmerville), and can easily be reached via U.S. Hwy. 167 and 33. Click here for map of parish.
• Airports: A small airport with 3000-foot lighted runway is located just east of Farmerville. The Monroe Regional Airport (MLU) is a short drive southeast of Union Parish (38 miles from Farmerville). Currently, there are four airlines (Delta Air Lines, Continental Express, American Airlines, and Northwest Airlink) providing services to Monroe Regional Airport. American Eagle offers 3 flights daily to Dallas/Ft. Worth. Northwest Airlink (Mesaba) offers 3 flights daily to Memphis. Continental Express (Colgan) offers 5 daily flights to Houston. Delta Air Lines has 4 daily non-stop flights to Atlanta. Northwest and Delta offer freight service.
Rail Service: Ouachita Ralroad operates a 25-mile line from El Dorado, Arkansas, to Lillie, Louisiana. The line once served Wyerhaeuser (Willamette) Particle Board Mill at Lillie. Since the plant's closure in 2002, Ouachita Railroad has continued to maintain the roadbed, and has actively worked with Louisiana Department of Economic Develoopment to encourage additional industry in the area. Several unit trains of intermodal container railcars were recently stored along the line for Union Pacific Railroad. The unit trains have all returned to service. Contacts: Michael A. Robbins, general manager. 870-863-7044, 870-310-1281. email@example.com
• Trucking: Numerous trucking companies are based in and near Union Parish, and are available to haul liquid, dry bulk, petroleum products, equipment, refrigerated goods, timber, poultry, etc.
AVERAGE DAILY TRAFFIC COUNT -2011 samples
Main St., Farmerville 11,392
U.S. Hwy. 167, Bernice 4,758
Hwy. 33 bridge over lake, Farmerville 7,894
Hwy. 2, bridge over Ouachita River, Sterlington 4,267
Our Economic Climate
• Our city and parish leaders advocate economic development and growth, and are implementing programs to attract new business and industry, while offering continued support to companies already in Union Parish. Farmerville, the parish seat, has implemented a Tax Increment Financing District, designed to use sales tax monies to fund infrastructure projects. For details, contact Mayor Stein Baughman Jr. at 318-368-9242.
• The State of Louisiana actively works to attract new businesses and to grow existing businesses through the Louisiana Economic Development offices. For complete information on that department and its services to prospective businesses, please click here. LED offers incentive programs for businesses; click here for information.
• High-speed Internet access: DSL is available in all six incorporated communities and approximately 3-mile radius around each. DSL (through CenturyLink is available throughout the eastern 1/3 of Union Parish. To consult a local CenturyLink representative, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 318-548-7100. T-1 lines can be installed anywhere in Union Parish.
• Extensive warehouse facilities are available in Bernice, near U.S. Hwy. 167. In the Bernice Industrial Complex, 70 private buildings are available for lease or sale , ranging from 5,000 to 40,000 square feet per building. For information, contact Bernice Warehouse Lease/Rentals at 800-549-0799, or the Bernice Industrial Development Corporation, 318-285-9071.
• Union Parish has been designated a Louisiana Certified Retirement Community. We are actively promoting the parish as a desirable destination to the “Baby Boomer” generation, with the aim of increasing our population of more affluent individuals age 50+. See the "Retire Here" page in this website.
• The Union Parish Chamber of Commerce partners with other economic development entities to nurture the development of commercial, retail and residential sectors. It strives to ensure an enhanced, healthy economic base to benefit the entire community.
Foster Farms poultry processing plant -- 1,200 employees
CenturyLink data processing center (corporate headquarters is located in adjoining Ouachita Parish)
Union General Hospital -- 136 employees
Union Parish School District -- 330 employees
Reeves Memorial Medical Center
Healthsouth Specialty Hospital
Claiborne Electric Co-Op
Hill Oil Company
Don Barron Construction
Marion State Bank
First National Bank
Community Trust Bank
Wal-Mart Super Center
Commercial & Residential Real Estate
– Please contact brokers for detailed information on available properties
Antley Real Estate
Eagle Point Properties, LLC
D’Arbonne Real Estate
A Team Realty & Property Mgmt
Our Business Mix
Total businesses in Union Parish (2013) 386
Agriculture, forestry, fishing, hunting 13
Mining (oil & gas extraction) 0
Wholesale trade 9
Retail trade 63
Finance and Insurance 25
Real Estate and Rental and Leasing 15
Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services 18
Administrative and Support and Waste Services 9
Educational Services 12
Health Care and Social Assistance 33
Arts, Entertainment, and Recreation 3
Accommodation and Food Services 15
Other Services (except Public Administration) 65
Public Administration 52
Unknown Classification 4
For detailed demographic report, click here.
Four institutions of higher education-- the University of Louisiana at Monroe, Louisiana Tech University, Grambling University, and Louisiana Delta Community College -- are located within a 30-mile radius of Union Parish. Together the schools offer an array of programs in such diverse fields as pharmacy, engineering, nanotechnology, architecture, nursing, meteorology, aviation, and many nationally accredited undergraduate, graduate and Doctoral programs.
Water table – Union Parish water table levels range from approximately 166 to 275 feet below land surface. Source of underground water is the Sparta aquifer. For detailed up-to-date information on Union Parish ground-water levels, click here for the USGS website.
Water utility companies – There are 22 community water suppliers in Union Parish. For information on individual utility companies, contact Kami Turner, Union Parish Health Unit sanitarian, at 318-368-3156.
Union Parish Police Jury (governing body of the parish), Dan Morgan, sec.-treas.---318-368-3296
Union Parish Assessor’s office---318-368-3232
D’Arbonne Lake Watershed Commission, Steve Cagle, Chairman---318-372-5500 or 318-368-3296
Sparta Groundwater Conservation District Commission, Gene Coleman, Chairman---318-927-2525
North Louisiana Economic Partnership -- 14-parish consortium -- www.nlep.org -- 318-387-0787
Northeast Louisiana Economic Alliance, www.nelea.us -- 318-435-4865 -- located at Louisiana Delta Community College in Monroe with a second office at 205 Fair St., Winnsboro, LA 71295
Louisiana Economic Development -- state agency providing development leadership, incentives, & training --www.LouisianaEconomicDevelopment.com